Now that I have my press/type/stuff moved to Water Street Studio, I can settle in and figure out how to do this. Yesterday I practiced with my limited wood type. I am missing letters and the “K” is broken, so the result was only adequate. I did manage to set a line of metal type and finally got it to print without smearing. Next purchase–more wood.
This morning I figured out how to scan Elizabeth’s line drawing into PS and then place it in Illustrator, rasterize it, and upload it to make a polymer plate. My first few attempts were not black and white, so the plates split into four, each with a different color (CMYK)–not good. (Am I even using the right terminology?) But my last version seemed to work. Fingers crossed.
I am hoping to get the plate so I can make posters for First Friday. That should keep me busy….and one day I’ll begin writing agin.
My type arrived in two cartons from #letterpress things in MA today, and I nearly broke my back getting it inside the house. (Sorry UPS guy.) Luckily I have two extra type cases so I can split them. Otherwise, I’m not sure I could even carry them down to the studio. So tonight I’ll be separating the type, letter by letter and number by number. I have to say–I’m looking forward to having all the stuff in one place so I can finally work. (14 and 24 pt Caslon–it’s gorgeous).
I’ve been looking and looking online for some type cases to hold the type I’ve ordered. Today, I decided to walk into the antique store right next door to our studio, and wow–a treasure chest! Now, as soon as my type arrives, I have a place to store it.
The owner of Southworth’s is also keeping an eye out for a cabinet. It pays to shop local. Thanks, Walt.
Ok, so this printing isn’t easy. But that’s ok. I love learning and figuring this out. I discovered that I’m using way too much ink. And tonight, it’s all over my hands, too.