The Older I Get

…the less I sleep

…the more I worry

…and the more aches appear

But I haven’t stopped loving to learn.

The thing about letterpress printing is each time I ink up the press, I have something I need to figure out. Maybe it’s the paper. Is the ink too cold? What about the packing? Is that metal letter chipped? Why is it printing more on one side than the other?

At first, I feel frustration rising. And then I remind myself: you got this. I take some time and figure out what the problem is, and then…. Ta da! I love the feeling of success, too! I wish I’d discovered this early in my life. But I’m going to enjoy the time I have left with it.

Before the arthritis kicks in too much. #gettingoldhurts

Edith’s Words

I do love a good quote, especially when I am looking for some non-cheesy Valentine’s Day cards to print or send. This one does it for me.

I mixed a bright pink with a little black to come up with this shade of purple– I like it!

Now that I’m back at LibertyTown Arts sharing Lynette’s studio, I have a place to display some of my prints. So, if you are local, please do stop by and say hello!

How Many Times Have I Written This?

Beginning again.

If I look back at this blog, I’ll bet I would find that phrase a hundred times.

Ok, maybe I’m exaggerating, but it’s got to be a lot. I seem to “begin again” often, which is not a bad thing. In fact, I love beginnings. When I taught, my favorite month was September, a chance for all of us- students, teachers, and staff– to do everything better. January always gives me a time to pause and reflect, which is where I am right now.

So, what’s new? Well, I am making a physical move of sorts. I’m moving one of my small presses into a space at LibertyTown Arts again. I’ve missed the connections wit friends and customers. Also, I’m adding a foiling machine to my collection. This will enable me to foil cards and other items, something I’ve wanted to try for a while. And finally, I can’t wait to try one of my Christmas presents– a 3D printer! I know I can letterpress print with a 3D print, and I’ve wanted to try it myself.

This week is a reflecting, cleaning, and organizing time for me. But come January, I’ll be playing, printing, and sharing again.
Photo on Best Running

Retreating…

Once I year (I can say that now because I’ve done this twice), I attend a camp in Asheville, NC. It’s called Life is a Verb, directed by author/speaker Patti Digh.

We make art, write, connect with friends, share quiet moments by the pond, and laugh at the raucous talent show. It’s an amazing experience, and I come away inspired to create and share my work.

So, for now, I am holding on to what is good. I am not going to let world events (and specifically our frustrating US political situation) get me down.